The history of the University of Virginia is not complete without women’s stories. 2020 is a unique moment in time at UVA: the 100th anniversary of a 1920 Board of Visitors resolution allowing some women to enroll in select graduate and professional programs and the 50th anniversary of full coeducation in 1970. Approximately 30,000 women earned degrees, diplomas and certificates at UVA before 1970. Today, women make up the majority of the student population.
The Alumni Association and Retold will mark this pivotal moment and honor you, our alumnae community, by recognizing women’s contributions to the University community and the diversity of the alumnae experience. This year is yours, and together through Retold we will:
- Celebrate the diversity of the alumnae experience. Elevate the contributions and accomplishments of alumnae on and beyond Grounds. Serve all alumni who identify as women.
- Expand our collective understanding of UVA history by telling a nuanced, authentic story of women’s experiences at the University. Commemorate 50 years of full coeducation and celebrate the experiences of those whose time at the University preceded and followed that milestone.
- Connect alumnae in-person and virtually with the University, with students and with fellow alumnae around the world. Meet alumnae where they are and identify innovative ways to strengthen the UVA alumnae network and its influence in the years ahead.
- Serve and invest in our alumnae through opportunities to enrich their personal and professional lives with inspiring, inclusive programming. Develop programming that is by alumnae, for alumnae.
- Leverage the power of alumnae voices to promote a sustained dialogue between the University and alumnae.
About the Alumni Association
The UVA Alumni Association connects, informs, rewards, serves and invests in our alumni and our University by building strong bonds and affinity on and beyond Grounds. With a rich history of innovation and self-governance dating back 180 years, the UVA Alumni Association has been an invaluable partner to the University. Today, the Alumni Association’s programs and traditions, including Reunions, the Ridley Scholars program, the Jefferson Trust, and Virginia Magazine, empower our 240,000+ alumni to shape the world around us.
Community is at the heart of all we do, and we’re proud to celebrate our ever-expanding, constantly evolving alumnae community and the ways in which they make transformational impact on UVA and the world. This would not be possible without the collaborative support of our alumnae steering committee, University partners, and the partnership of the Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center.